Entradas populares

jueves, 9 de junio de 2011

Hypothyroidism, the silent disease

To start, what I will tell you; is a personal experience because I suffer from hypothyroidism, I do not know since when but I know I found when I was 12 years. Everything was by chance when one day my mom and I were playing and she saw a lump in my neck, which nobody else had noticed. With that, she took me to the doctor who diagnosed me with hypothyroidism and goiter.

So I started taking hormone therapy, which resulted in different symptoms such as tachycardia and flushing. When I was 16 my good mood began to flag, and did not want to do anything, just wanted to sleep, my hair began to fall, I could hardly get out of bed, I was always tired and sleepy and the most tragic (at least for a teenager ) was that I started to gain weight!

After look for a good endocrinologist all over my city and after several failed treatments, the doctor was able to stabilize the dose of hormone needed, that was at age 20! Since then I have to get monthly and annual checkups, which are indicators of how controlled is my hypothyroidism and my goiter (with that I know if all goes well and have to get a biopsy to dismiss cancer.)
Now all this mess would be not so bad if the hypothyroidism had no symptoms! as to name a few, these include hair loss, brittle nails, dry skin, sleep, cysts, depression, mood swings, constipation, tendency to gain weight, muscle weakness, feeling constantly cold, loss of memory. In children, this disease does to not get to grow normally and can affect learning because it is known that hypothyroidism has implication in intellectual performance. So, that's when you have to take some care, in my case I take tablets to help me improve energy, eat healthy food rich in fiber, I exercise and drink lots of water, and use body and face moisturizers.

This post is just to give advice, if you have one or more of the symptoms above, then go to see a doctor and begin treatment as soon as possible, since this disease is not always present with a goiter and may have the disease untreated for years and that can lead to more serious illnesses. I have also known that in this days a discard of this disease can be done so congenital hypothyroidism could be detected in newborns, and treatment could start as soon as possible and avoid problems of motor and mental delay.

I hope take these tips and can be use in order for your good health, also make regular checkups and have good habits forever!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario